History of the
4th California Volunteer Infantry, Co. D

The 4th California was one of several units either raised or stationed in Oregon during the Civil War for several reasons. The main reason was that many Oregonians at the time were pro-Confederate and the government wanted a strong Union presence to prevent succession. They were also there to keep peace between white settlers and Native American tribes on local reservations. The company history is as follows:

Organized at Sacramento, Placerville and Auburn, California, during September and October 1861. Attached to the Department of the Pacific.
Companies A, B, C, D and E were moved from San Francisco to Ft. Vancouver, Washington Territory, Oct. 29 - Nov. 4, 1861.
Company D was at Fort Yamhill, Oregon until March, 1863.
Moved to Fort Hoskins, OR in March and had duty there until December 1864.
Expedition from Siletz Block House to Coos Bay April 21 through May 12, 1864.
Returned to Fort Yamhill until mustered out.
Mustered out April 18, 1866.


Fort Hoskins is currently attempting to relocate and restore the Phil Sheridan House, which was originally located at Fort Hoskins.


Home | NW Reenacting | 116th History | 54th Mass | Join Now | Events | Links